To ensure that all research conducted by UMass Global faculty and students exemplifies and promotes the highest level of scientific integrity, public accountability, social responsibility in the conduct of research.
To ensure that investigators protect human subjects by having their applications for research reviewed by an institutional review board (IRB).
The National Institute for Health (NIH) sets policies for human subject research according to federal law 45 CFR 46, Protection of Human Subjects. All institutional research must comply with this law.
Researchers are required to demonstrate they have completed an education and training program is no longer offering a NIH Certificate course.
Can I use my previous NIH Certificate?
Prior to October 1, 2018, NIH provided the required education and training program.
If you completed that training, you may attach your NIH Certificate
to the IRB Application per the application instructions in lieu of the CITI Certificate.
Who is required to complete the CITI training?
- All members of the research team, including the principal investigator and all other individuals (faculty, staff, and students) who have contact or interactions with research subjects or with their private, identifiable information. Examples of research team members are: co-investigators, research assistants, lab managers, statisticians, and data managers
- Dissertation Chairs and Committee members
- Faculty Advisors of student research projects
- Investigators who are not affiliated with UMass Global but who are engaged in a UMass Global research study and whose IRB of record will be UMass Global
- IRB office staff
- IRB board members
How do I complete the CITI training?
- Go to the CITI login website at:
- As a first time user, you will select the Register link and follow steps 1-7 required to complete the process. You will need the following information:
- UMass Global ID number
- UMass Global email address
- Note: If not a member of IRB, you will be directed to start the Social-Behavioral-Educational Researchers.
- Once you successfully complete the course, you will be able to download the CITI Certificate of Completion.
The CITI Certificate must be attached to the IRB Application per the application instructions.